Eyeliner is one of the trickier makeup products in your makeup bag. Unlike a lipstick which can be swiped on in a flash or a mascara that’s brushed through your lashes with ease — eyeliner often requires a steady hand, and a lot of practice. If you struggle with applying eyeliner — don’t fret. We asked Jasmine Ferreira, National Education Makeup Director for Lancôme to share her top eyeliner tips for beginners.
What is the best eyeliner formula to use for beginners?
Jasmine shares that there are many different formulas of eyeliner you can use to create a simple eyeliner look.
- A glide on pencil which can seamlessly follow your natural lash line with very little effort.
- A powder eyeliner is natural, soft, and beginner-friendly. It is also great to help sketch a look for a liquid or a gel as a second step. For a powder liner you would need to have a thin, flat liner brush to place the product along the lash line. You can then sketch over if you prefer intensity and more definition.
- Liquid Eyeliners can sometimes be difficult to use and master – but our mistake-proof Idôle Liquid Liner is easy to control & apply – even for beginners. With its ultra-precise felt tip there’s seamless application to the lash line for easy glide, one stroke application.
- Whether you are using a pencil, gel, or liquid eyeliner – use your lash line as a guide. Following the shape of your natural eye will help create the most flattering eyeliner shape for you.
- With a light hand, apply short, small strokes (like a stamping motion) until you cover the lash line and achieve your preferred eyeliner look.
- Go back and fill in any gaps along the lash line.
- Trace over your finished line, with added pressure, if you prefer a thicker liner look or one with more precision.
- If you prefer to wing it out, start from the outer eye corner and flick your wing first and then stamp across the lash line.
- When using a pencil eyeliner, be sure to sharpen for the smoothest application
- Using liquid liner for the first time? Sketch your liner look with a pencil eyeliner first and then trace over it with your liquid liner
- When creating a winged eyeliner look, use a post-it to get a crisp, clean wing! It will help to get the perfect angle. Place post-it along the outer corner of your eye to create a guide for your wing. Follow the edge with your eyeliner to create a wing and then draw along the lash line to connect the liner to your wing.
- Use a small amount of concealer with a small flat brush to easily create clean, crisp cuts towards the outer eye corner for the perfect wing.
What else should you look for in your eyeliner?
Beyond the formula of your eyeliner one thing Ferreira stresses is the importance of your eyeliner shape and tip. “For beginners, I would recommend a highly pigmented pencil that is nicely sharpened.” Liner should glide on smoothly without tugging, skipping, or pulling. A felt tip eyeliner is also very easy to use and gives a precise thin line. The more precision you can get, the easier, especially when you are using your lash line as a guide. Holding your liquid liner at an angle, while using a stamping motion across the lash line can be the easiest.”
In addition to the formula and shape of your eyeliner tip, some eyeliners are specifically crafted to be easy to use for beginners. Our Idôle Liquid Liner has ergonomic packaging that gives ultimate control for easy eyeliner application. Plus, the flexible ultra slim felt tip gives bend when you need it – allowing you to bend and move the eyeliner around your eyes and hug the lash line. With supercharged pigments and a high performing liquid formula the liner delivers seamless one glide stroke application – so there’s no need to repeat the same line over and over again.
What is the easiest technique for applying eyeliner?
“The easiest eyeliner technique regardless of your makeup skill level will always be to let your lash line be your guide. Draw a line using small, soft strokes across the lash line. You can do this with a pencil, liquid, or gel. Once you get the definition, you can choose to add more pressure for a thicker line, using the same technique, "shares Ferreira.
How do you apply simple eyeliner for beginners?
An easy guide on how to apply eyeliner step-by-step:
- Jasmine Ferreira
What are some eyeliner tips for beginners?
- Jasmine Ferreira
What is the best way to remove eyeliner?
“To remove eyeliner, let Bi-Facil do the work. Saturate a cotton round for your removal and you’ll see there is no tugging involved, even the most stubborn makeup will melt right off.” Explains Jasmine.
Our Bi-Facil Double Action Eye Makeup Remover effortlessly removes everything from longwear, stubborn eye makeup to waterproof or water-resistant and cleanses skin without leaving skin feeling greasy or sticky. It’s an essential for makeup bags and any professional makeup kit as it removes all eye makeup from waterproof mascaras and eyeliners to dramatic smokey eye looks.
Top tip: If you make an eyeliner mistake and want to remove excess eyeliner – Jasmine recommends to let the eyeliner dry down first before correcting. Then come in with eye makeup remover on a cotton tip to clean up the mistake without ruining your look.